Friday, September 28, 2007

Adam Lives With C.F.

I talked with a friend today. Someone I had lost contact with. It has probably been 2 years since we last talked.

I have known him for probably 30 years.

We used to meet for lunch on a regular basis. It has been a while since we did that.

One day I was driving in my car, listening to the radio. Normally I don't listen to commercials but this one caught my attention.

The voice on the radio sounded familiar.

The announcer was talking about a fund raiser for Cystic Fibrosis. At the end of the message the announcer gave his name. He told the audience he knows all about C.F. because his son lives with the disease every day.

The next day I called Carol, the guy on the radio. We agreed to meet for lunch. He shared his story about Adam, and his illness.

When he and his wife were told their son had the disease it meant nothing to them. They had never heard of C.F. and had no idea what it meant.

Then the doctor told them if he was lucky he might live to be a teenager.

That was 25 years ago.

When Carol called this week after getting through the small talk and catching up, I asked how his family was doing. Every time we talk, which is way too infrequent, I am always hesitant to ask about Adam.

He told me what was going on with his wife, his daughter, then he paused. He said, you remember Adam don't you?

I said I did.

He said Adam is working for an architectural firm and loves his work.

So, how old is Adam?, I asked.

Adam is 29.

Adam has done well. A few years ago he got on a new drug that breaks up the congestion in his chest. Now, instead of 5 or 6 visits a year to the hospital for 2 week stays he only goes twice a year and is usually discharged in about a week.

The medicine Adam takes is $1500 per month.

Living with C.F. is expensive. The various meds he takes run in excess of $2,000 per month.

Adam is a miracle. A young man who has already lived twice as long as expected.

When you tuck your children in tonight, say a prayer of thanks for their good health. I know Adam's parents do the same even though he is too big to be tucked in.
blog comments powered by Disqus