Friday, July 31, 2015

Punctuation Counts

Are you the type that pays attention to punctuation? How about an asterisk that directs you to a footnote.

If you just ignore them, you should consider changing.

Here's a wake up call about your Social Security statement.
At first glance, the statement did not appear menacing. I was told I could expect to receive a benefit of “about $2,136 a month” upon reaching age 70 — which certainly seems like good news. But immediately I thought of a parallel of President Obama’s infamous Obamacare promise: “If you like your Social Security, you can keep your Social Security.” - National Review
Get ready for the asterisk.
The law governing benefit amounts may change because, by 2033, the payroll taxes collected will be enough to pay only about 77 percent of scheduled benefits.
That's 18 years away. So what? They can just increase FICA taxes on the working class, right? That's only a 30% increase.

Yes, but they can also do this.

I could not believe I was seeing the equivalent of what I was just thinking, but with a new twist, “If I like my Social Security, I can keep 77 percent of it.
Yeah, that's going to hurt a bit.





blog comments powered by Disqus